Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Penampang Tuapaau Hash House (PTH2)


RUN 26July2009 Sunday

++++++++++++++++++

Driving The Wanderers & me to the run site at Kg. Madsiang, Tambunan Road, Lim Joo Seng “d’Lost1” remarked that the best option at that time was a long nap, considering the dark horizon and a great lunch earlier. When we arrived at the run site, the expanse of the parking lot was already full and got a glimpse of Terry “AhFook” Dukeswho was still loitering around the ground. Apparently, gf Tracy went in for a head start hoping to be out before the heavy rain comes.
We started off with a brisk walk trailing behind Bill “Mr. Wanderer” Jamieson, whose gf Rina “Wanderer” was about 20 meters ahead of him in the company of Uncle Lee’s gf Michelle & her family. When we had to cross a shallow stream with unstable stones to step on, we still have to pass a mud path and there was no way to stay dry. From there the assault to the trail began which would take us to the ridge of the cross-point for the long & short runs.
Leaving “The Wanderers” & “D’Lost1” behind, I slowly followed Terry as he scaled the hill with shredded paper generously thrown along the way. I decided to pace with Terry as he started to overtake early starters until we reached the dense rubber plantation where our paces could shift from slow to fast depending on the terrain, but mostly we were on slower mode. From time to time, we took advantage of the a near-flat ground and double-up our time then shifted to slower gear again when we hit a steeper one. Most of the time we were grabbing vines, protruding roots and bushes to clear the side of the slippery hill then plunged into the ravine only to be led uphill again.
We came to an open space with inter-locking pathways from so many directions, yet the paper took us to another hill with a steeper slope and again we slowed down while at the same time catching for our breath. This time banter with Terry was becoming more & more irregular except warning for thorns, holes & loose stones. Earlier on “D’Lost1” told me he would do the long run and knowing his poor sense of direction, I couldn’t take chance for him to get lost in the jungle. Otherwise we would be stuck at the base waiting for him and God knows for how long. Moreover, I promised to take my family out for dinner so, I told Terry to carry on as I would wait for “D’Lost1” at the cross-point.
While Terry continued his assault to the dense foliage of the jungle overtaking more and more early starters, I took my time to climb the hill hoping to regain my stamina when I’d reach the cross-point. For the next 10mins, I was on my own walking with no more souls in front of me nor any sound of “On-On’ from the fore-runners. Finally I reached the cross-point on another shoulder of the ridge where a few hashers took advantage to take a rest while at the same time re-assessing whether or not to do the long run.
Mr. Wanderer was the first one to reach that cross-point and later “D’Lost1” emerged from the bamboo groves fully depleted of energy and right then I knew he was not in proper shape to do the long run. Checking the time with Mr. Wanderer, we were already walking for 40mins and I was already drenched with sweat. Then a gust of strong wind blew on us followed by heavy rain which made the trail even more challenging.
The short run cut through the left side and followed the trail along the skirt of the hill down to a ravine then go up the next hill. On the other hand, the long one diverted to the left snaking also along the rubber-tapper’s trail with a wider pathways that led to a gentle slope up the hill. Since I opted to do the long run, I was on my own again and the surroundings seemed creepy as it was also dark inside the jungle. As I gained my momentum, I started running uphill, ducking on few uprooted trees and falling branches at the same time crawling underneath giant ferns. There seemed to be no ending of the upward trail even when I came out to an open space again. The hill was really high but manageable with light breeze blowing at my face. Passing more and more big trees, it was really evident that it was a primary jungle and the hares had to cut their way out to connect to the next hill.
Then the trail shifted to the right which would then converge toward the exit trail of the short run. Though it looked like a downhill trail, it wasn’t any easy run, ‘coz all the way I had to grab saplings, trees and even thorny vines to break my fall. Slipped a lot times and landed on my bumps a few times, I had no choice but to slow down. While still struggling to swing to the next mound, Uncle Lee caught up with me. From time to time he would suggest the best possible way to go down in the midst of slippery rocks, thorny palm trees whose thorns at the base could grow up to 2ins. At least at that time I wasn’t running alone anymore. Mountain Goat also caught up with us as he effortlessly skipped from rocks to rocks then disappeared into the thickets.
After running for another 15mins, we finally reached the kampong house with well-stocked fishponds. Then off to the gravel road, Uncle Lee & I continued running at a more regular pace slowing down only when we reached the stream. Back at the base, The Wanderers, “D’Lost1” & the Dukes were already fully rested and of course had cleaned-up!It took me almost 2 hours to finish the run; not a good time though. According to Mr. Wanderer two weeks from now, they will run the alternate long trail designed for the 12th BNH. On-ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment